Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spring visitor

We had a visitor today. He was the strong silent type. At least until he found more cover, then he proceeded to sing a loud love song lookin' for a lady friend. The picture doesn't do him justice if you happen to know any pheasant hens....

It definitely felt like we turned the official corner towards spring this weekend! Breezy but warm! Zane has been wearing shorts for a while now but I actually put some on to work outside today too! The fairy house is repaired after seeing some winter damage, bird houses are cleaned and hung or straightened in hopes for new tenants. We washed the car in the driveway, burned brush and trimmed sheep hooves. (No lambs this spring, we will try for next spring!) Ate lunch outside, started a new compost pile and pulled some sunchokes up from the north side of the machine shed. (I will have to cook them up for dinner tomorrow night.)

Yesterday we went to see Easter, my friends new Belted Galloway calf, born on....Easter! And there are many calves between our house and theirs. Although I must say, none as cute as Miss Easter. Matt is busy spreading poo. And I think all the snow is even gone from the road ditch!

Yep, it's spring!

Hope spring has sprung in your neck of the woods!
That's all for now.

1 comment:

JulieNBrad said...

I love your story of the pheasant; I'll keep my eye out for a hen, but he may have to settle for a spruce grouse? :) Glad Spring has sprung in your corner of Iowa! Ours is here too...sort of. We had dry temps in the 40s causing me to get weird stares from folks when I donned a t-shirt and Avery in her blanket--I was warm enough with my little furnace!! But then it snowed, rained, and snowed some more. Now it's snowing and I think Spring is around the corner! :)